Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Fire and Snow

Job 2:10 "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"


What to write about? So many options! Time for a hodgepodge post. Here's a sampling of what's been going on in my mind today....
  1. My aunt and uncle had a house fire today. Everyone is okay, but there is a ton of damage—from fire, smoke, and water. We are obviously very grateful the Lord kept everyone safe and protected. But the insurance headaches and clean-up are going to be a nightmare. Plus, this is their fourth house fire in the last twenty-five years. Not exactly fair. There's a part of me that just wants to shake my angry fist at the forces of evil behind all this and tell them to leave my family the heck alone already. But that wouldn't be the ideal Christian response, so... I am trying to take my (very wise) grandma's advice by praying that God will bring something good out of this bad thing. We are claiming Romans 8:28 for them. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." We would certainly appreciate any prayers you could offer up on their behalf as well. There's a lot more I could say about this, but here's the bottom line: The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.
  2. So as not to overwhelm you with too much heavy subject matter, here are some other (lighter) sundry thoughts from the day.... First off, I think party planning may be one of my underutilized talents. I hesitate to share the details, just in case that special someone *wink* might be reading. But suffice it to say that I have been having way too much fun recently preparing for a special event in the not-so-distant future.
  3. If you have never gone to a movie all by yourself... you really should. I mean, if you're never driven there alone, bought your ticket alone ("One, please"), and then sat in the theatre showing alone, with all 200+ seats to yourself... you really should give it a try. I had that experience tonight for probably the third time ever, and it was just as magical as before. Honestly, enjoying a private screening of a first-run movie is something you should put on your to-do-before-you-have-kids-and-zero-"me"-time list. I highly recommend it.
  4. On a completely random note, exercise is growing on me. I'm still nowhere near where I'd like to be, but progress is progress. I won't bore you with the details. But that rowing machine... awesome to the sweaty nth degree.
  5. Snowmageddon. Blizzard of 2011. Work-gets-cancelled-and-I-get-to-stay-home-building-snowforts-and-watching-movies... aka, Snow Day Extraordinaire. I'm not afraid to admit that I am fervently hoping that one (or all) of these do indeed come to pass before the week is over.
In an attempt to bring this all full circle, indulge me a James Taylor reference. Whether we experience metaphorical "fire and rain" or a literal raging house fire or a blinding snowstorm, our source of strength does not flicker or surge with the circumstances. God does not change. Now, things will never be safe. Never. Not so long as sin and Satan are allowed to roam this world (and I stress "allowed"). But we are not alone. Storms and flames will come and go. But Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

So... how was your Monday? Random thoughts welcome, obviously.

1 comment:

  1. Hello My Love...
    Work for me was busy as usual and school was tiring but rewarding...ahh to think I might have missed school after all...well maybe not :)
    So, while you are lounging on the recliner in the basement all covered with blankets trying to keep warm, just remember you are loved!

    As for bad things that happen, Job was right and your response is normal. I too want to shake my fist at evil but The Lord has a way of reminding us that HE controls all things and that those who do evil WILL face HIS judgment, not ours!
    On that note it's off to bed...
    sincerely,
    YOURS!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete