Job 2:10 "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"
What to write about? So many options! Time for a hodgepodge post. Here's a sampling of what's been going on in my mind today....
- My aunt and uncle had a house fire today. Everyone is okay, but there is a ton of damage—from fire, smoke, and water. We are obviously very grateful the Lord kept everyone safe and protected. But the insurance headaches and clean-up are going to be a nightmare. Plus, this is their fourth house fire in the last twenty-five years. Not exactly fair. There's a part of me that just wants to shake my angry fist at the forces of evil behind all this and tell them to leave my family the heck alone already. But that wouldn't be the ideal Christian response, so... I am trying to take my (very wise) grandma's advice by praying that God will bring something good out of this bad thing. We are claiming Romans 8:28 for them. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." We would certainly appreciate any prayers you could offer up on their behalf as well. There's a lot more I could say about this, but here's the bottom line: The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.
- So as not to overwhelm you with too much heavy subject matter, here are some other (lighter) sundry thoughts from the day.... First off, I think party planning may be one of my underutilized talents. I hesitate to share the details, just in case that special someone *wink* might be reading. But suffice it to say that I have been having way too much fun recently preparing for a special event in the not-so-distant future.
- If you have never gone to a movie all by yourself... you really should. I mean, if you're never driven there alone, bought your ticket alone ("One, please"), and then sat in the theatre showing alone, with all 200+ seats to yourself... you really should give it a try. I had that experience tonight for probably the third time ever, and it was just as magical as before. Honestly, enjoying a private screening of a first-run movie is something you should put on your to-do-before-you-have-kids-and-zero-"me"-time list. I highly recommend it.
- On a completely random note, exercise is growing on me. I'm still nowhere near where I'd like to be, but progress is progress. I won't bore you with the details. But that rowing machine... awesome to the sweaty nth degree.
- Snowmageddon. Blizzard of 2011. Work-gets-cancelled-and-I-get-to-stay-home-building-snowforts-and-watching-movies... aka, Snow Day Extraordinaire. I'm not afraid to admit that I am fervently hoping that one (or all) of these do indeed come to pass before the week is over.
So... how was your Monday? Random thoughts welcome, obviously.