Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2015

An Ode to Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, and Netflix

What can I say? I have become a Netflix junkie.

I'm not alone, as something like 30% of all US bandwidth between the hours of 8pm and 3am is devoted to Netflix streaming. Unlimited movies and TV shows, all commercial free, all instantly available on either your phone, computer, or good ole fashioned television. And best of all? They start the next episode automatically... making it a passive act to keep watching and requiring an active decision to stop watching. (They call it binge-watching, but really isn't it more like chain-smoking?)

In the last six months or so, I've watch two entire series: Parks and Recreation (completed in February) and 30 Rock (completed tonight).

What have I learned from binge-watching these two amazingly funny shows? Well, for one thing, there is great value in detoxing from your day by sittin on your fanny and watching something that makes you laugh. Don't let anyone ever tell you it's a waste of time to laugh. And if watching a certain show or movie makes you laugh, don't think of it as "slacking off." Consider it therapy.

"But exercise! And reading! And crafts! And social events! And family function! And laundry!" etc. etc. etc. All true, and all worthy endeavors. But I truly believe that God (Creator of all good things, including the Sabbath, aka "day of rest") would not begrudge anyone the chance to kick back and indulge in an episode (or four) of his favorite show, at the end of a long, hard day.

So I guess what I'm saying is...

Treat yo self.

Anything is a toy if you play with it.

Live every week like it's Shark Week.

I want to go to there.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really really well.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Please and thank you.

You had me at "meat tornado."

There are no bad ideas. Only good ideas that go horribly wrong.

Now if they would just create a new show in which Andy Dwyer, Ron Swanson, Jack Donaghy, and Tracy Jordan are all shipwrecked together on a desert island. Is that too much to ask?

And that is literally the end of this blog post.






No comments:

Post a Comment